- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 medium onion)
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Several big handfuls of fresh spinach
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta, optional
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 avocado, diced
- Toasted slices of ciabatta bread (1 to 2 per serving)
- Parsley and scallions
- Heat the oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Add the red pepper and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add the garlic, smoked paprika and cumin. Stir and let cook for about 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes, harissa paste, if using, and a few more pinches of salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the sauce is thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding the cayenne pepper for more kick, if desired.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Make 4 wells in the sauce and crack in the eggs. Cover and cook until the eggs are set, 5 to 8 minutes.**
Serve with feta cheese, parsley, diced avocado and microgreens, if using. Serve with toasted bread for scooping and enjoy!
Inspired by love and lemons!